Thursday, February 5, 2009

Last Week In Aigaleo?

Dreaming of YV-

Ti Kanete tyn Oikoyenia mou?
Hello from Athens! From the e-mails it sounds like all is right in California. Greece is still amazing to me. I'm having an awesome time! This last week I had a dream. I was in a classroom at YV and all my friends were there, even Tim having just returned from Uruguay. I was a little confused because I thought I was still a missionary. I asked a friend what year it was and he said it was 2010. I couldn't believe that I was a returned missionary. I didn't want to believe it either. It was a horrible feeling to know that my mission was over. I woke up and looked around the room making sure that I was still in Athens. I definitely want to make the most of this mission, cause I'll probably feel the same way when I leave. I miss all my family and friends a lot, but I'll miss this mission when I leave.

New happenings:

What new happened this week? We taught a ton of people, found a couple of new contacts, and helped a member family move. Oh yeah! I got to teach a lesson about faith in French too. A member by the name of William from the Ivory Coast who can't speak greek or English. It went really well and it was fun to get to exercise my French a little bit. It's way weird speaking it now. I would often mix greek in with by mistake. What would you call that? Grench, or Freek...hahaha. William is in Paris now looking for work. I guess Greece is being affected by this crisis too.

New friend:

Have I told you about Xristos yet? He's one of our investigators and he's golden!!! We met him on the bus in Aigaleo. Kinda weird how it happened. We were standing in the middle of the bus and he was sitting in the front. All of a sudden he turned around and said "What are you, a couple of lawyers?" We walked to the front and explained who we were. He said he'd like to talk to us more about Christ and the scriptures. He was once part of an Evangelical youth group and enjoyed it, but then got involved with bad friends and some very heavy drugs. We've been back to his house several times since. Each time we teach a lesson he has perfect answers. The drugs messed him up big time. He couldn't sleep at night, so had to sleep in the day, and when he got up, he would need to go take some more and that was the cycle, so we gave him a blessing. The next time we saw him, he was changed. He was way happy, his mom was way happy, his grandma was way happy. The whole family was happier. He told us that our blessing helped guide him to know what to do. Apprently after we left he asked his mom what he should do and she told him to go see the doctor. The doctor was able to filter out blood so that he wouldn't have the bodily need anymore. He told us that he has to come to church. We're going to do everything we can to help him get out of his addiction, cause now it's all mental. The first time we went to his house his mom was in tears and he had left to go buy the drugs, she thought there was no hope for him. Now their family is so much happier and they have hope. He told us that he has been looking for a way out. Just before we met, he said he would pray and then cry, and pray and cry, and then he saw us on the bus and knew that he got his answer. I know now why they call it the best two years. It seems as though we're making a sacrifice, but really, it's the greatest blessing to be here. Seeing the change in his family makes me happy, to know that I played a role in helping them to reach that happiness. It's the best.

New transfer?

Well, the transfer is coming to an end. This could be our last week in Aigaleo... nooooo!!! we just got here! There are many possible places I could go: Anywhere in Athens, Thessaloniki, Kavala, Patra, or Cyprus. I would like to stay in Aigaleo because of all the awesome people we've met. They don't give you much time to say good-bye either. You get your call friday and you're off to wherever your going on monday. I'm willing to accept wherever I'm called though.

New foods:

This week flew by way too fast. We were fed a lot too! I've never been so full so frequently in my life. It never got to the point where I had to lay on two chairs though. haha. Greeks LOVE to eat and talk. We went to an older lady's house and she fed us these potato omelettes, greek salads, bread with cheese, and fruit afterwards. The worst is when you have two appointments one right after another and they both have food waiting. It's way tasty, but it's going to make me fat. Good thing we walk everywhere.

New choir:

This week is going to be a crazy one! Elder Enslin and I translated the song "I Love the Lord" into greek. So we translated it and a missionary choir is going to perform it next week in Sacrament meeting. We're having practices on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. I really hope they'll be able to pick it up well. I'll make a video during one of the rehearsals and will send it over. By the way, I've made a couple of videos that I need to send. Know that I feel way awkward making them.

New scripture:

Matthew 7:7-8 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. For everyone that asketh receiveth."I have studied, and prayed, and done everything the prophets said you need to do to know what's true and the answer came, many times, and continues to come. And does it really take that much effort to get on your knees and ask God what's true? no. The real effort comes in your willingness to change when you receive that answer. I don't mean to sound preachy, but being a missionary and teaching people all the time gives you a different perspective when it comes to religion.

Love,
Presvyteros Eric

No comments: